Mr. Skilken is a graduate of Chaminade High School, the Krannert School of Management at Purdue University and the Ohio Northern University College of Law. After law school, he served two years as an Assistant Attorney General representing Ohio in trial and appellate work and he began in private practice in Dayton in 1970. He has since served as Special Counsel to two different Ohio Attorneys General. He is an A-V Preeminent Peer Review Rated Attorney, rated by his peers at the highest rating in both legal ability and ethical standards. Mr. Skilken is a past President of the Dayton Bar Association and is a member of the American, Ohio State and Dayton Bar Associations. He is a member of the Miami Valley Trial Lawyers Association and serves as a Mentor as part of the Ohio Supreme Court's mentoring program for young attorneys.
Early in my career, I did trial work and represented bargaining units for police and fire departments in Dayton and Montgomery County. For the last 35 years of my legal career I have focused on litigation and transactional matters for individuals and closely held businesses.
I have lived in Dayton most of my life. My wife Patty and I have three adult children. Melissa and Adam are attorneys in Cleveland. Jennifer is a fitness specialist and Ironwoman tri-athlete. When I'm not in the office, I enjoy hot-rod cars, motorcycles, rowing, skiing, squash and my five grandchildren.
- Admitted in U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- 1968, Ohio
Law School Attended
- Ohio Northern University Law School, Class of 1968, J.D.
- Purdue University, Class of 1964, B.A.
Associations & Memberships
- Dayton (President, 1988), Ohio State and American Bar Associations
- Ohio Trial Lawyers Association
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America.
- Bar Fellowship
- Dayton Bar Foundation
Hobbies & Interests
- Golf, Rowing, Skiing, SCUBA, Car Building and Motorcycles.